8/22/08

The Taste of Summer Sunshine

Tomatoes have always been at the top of my list of favorite foods; as a child, I even made sure to slurp the tomato seeds off of the serving platter so that none of the fabulous taste would go to waste. Tomatoes are the taste of sunshine to me (at least a good, ripe one is); the tart burst of seeds and pulp feels like a ray of light. Yes, tomato mozzarella salad is ubiquitous on blogs in the summer months, but there's a reason for it! Add fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, onions, lemon juice, and olive oil to your tomatoes, and you've got perfection. I can even say the tomatoes and basil are homegrown this time.

What is the taste of summer to you?

4 comments:

ELK said...

love the salad ~ cannot handle the onions tho' I have been eating alot of blueberries this summer and love them out of hand, with yogurt or for breakfast ...wish they were growing in my backyard but no such luck...
thanks for stopping by my blog...we will be HOT until October too but the going back to school feeling settles in

Mimi said...

Tomatoes, sigh. So good and yummy.

Anonymous said...

I love this fresh summer dinner!

renee @ FIMBY said...

Tomatoes, hands down, ARE summer
http://fimby.tougas.net/roasted_tomato_soup