8/28/08

Helen Rita, Part One

I obviously didn't take this photo, and don't know who did, but the topic of 'Love Thursday' over at Shutter Sisters always makes me think of my Grandma Helen, the woman on the right in this photo, circa early 1950s. That's her sister Marion with her, who always had a bit more of an attitude than my grandma did (perhaps you can tell by her expression?) Grandma was one of ten siblings born in a little hamlet in North Dakota to German immigrant parents; some of my fondest memories are of watching her interact with her brothers. They were so comfortable with each other, pulling each other's legs and playing skilled card games of Merry Widow and Gin Rummy while chain smoking and likely sipping on beers. I have so much more to say about my grandma than I can fit into this post; I will likely be talking about her again. She passed away three years ago and I miss her so much. Three of her siblings are still alive; they live far away from me and I wish I could sit down and get them to tell me stories about their lives.

Have you recorded any family memories for posterity? If so, how?

7 comments:

Mimi said...

May her Memory be Eternal. What a lovely smile your grandmother had, and I very much see the family resemblance between the "girls"

Shawna said...

Just stopping by from Shutter Sisters. This post is just too familiar. My grandmother has so many similarities, and this photo is so much like the ones we took from her basement stash. My grandma was also a Helen, though she looks more like your great aunt, and she grew up in North Dakota. Thanks for bringing back my memories today! My grandmother would have loved to play with my daughter, and I miss her very much every day.

Emily said...

I love old pictures.

A few years ago, I interviewed my Grandmother's siblings. She was one of 13, with only 4 siblings still living. I have a lot of information from that summer of interviews piled up in folders, waiting to be archived in some sort of book.

Martha said...

Beautiful photo....
I hope you can pass along the great memories you have, write them down! It's tedious work. Maybe you could use a tape recorder and interview them and then write a book full of stories! I look forward to hearing more...

ELK said...

saw this on SS and wanted to let you know that the picture made my heart sing! What great stories they must have had! Blessings on this LT!

Jessica said...

My grammie has made binders that include family pictures and narratives from her great grandparents onto today. They are great memories...especially since it is all in her handwriting.

Meadowlark Days said...

Thanks so much for all of your thoughts, everyone. Very sweet to hear your stories.