10/18/08

Kitchen Counter Shots





Today's Superhero Challenge on Shutter Sisters is the kitchen counter shot - essentially, looking for and capturing the beauty in the small details that make up our daily lives. I tend to take a lot of food photos in the late afternoons when I'm preparing dinner. (See these posts:soup, peas, strawberries, slice of life, summer sunshine, blueberries, for a few other examples.) I've mentioned before how I love the peaceful angle of the late day sun as I chop and put together meals. Cooking is enjoyable to me and a creative outlet; even if I don't manage to write, scrapbook, bead, etc., I still find creative fulfillment in handling food. And there's also the relational aspect of food: eating together with family and friends, special celebrations, physical and emotional sustenance.

What routines in your day bring peace to you?

12 comments:

Cindy said...

You are such a talented photographer. I've always enjoyed your food photos because you take ordinary things and make them works of art!

Mary said...

these are wonderful! there is such beauty to be found in the everyday, isn't there?

tracey clark said...

gorgeous! sigh.

Jessica said...

Routines bring me so much joy in the day. My absolute favorite routine is getting up, pouring coffee, and reading the paper while the sun rises. Your photos are certainly gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Kristina, Barbara and I are looking at your site, here in Dubai, UAE, i have bookmarked you, and will stop by now and then.
Love to you.
Joyce

elizabeth said...

i have struggled to maintain routines right now! between travel, the beginning of packing to move, and other things have impeded this...

so for now i will just stick to the routine of Sat. evening vespers and morning litrugy at my church...

love the pictures - !

Mimi said...

Your counter is so gorgeous! And, that plate looks like a tiara!

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

washing dishes and folding laundry are two of my favorites.
And flossing my teeth.

Martha said...

Eating soup on a chilly day (like today) bring me peace...a sense of comfort. Your photos are lovely. What did you make with those red lentils?

ELK said...

what happy and yummy looking images you share ~

peaceful routines? Singing ...always singing!!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

My favorite one is the plums and peaches.

Anastasia Theodoridis said...

You know what would be SUPER gorgeous? A macro shot of that blue crystal plate or platter. The whole thing, I mean, with bright light glancing off it. It would make a fantastic desktop wallpaper!