1/9/09

The First Days of 2009


My husband's parents have come and gone. His father left us several foil-wrapped packages of hilloo in the freezer (a Middle Eastern dessert made of farina, walnuts, butter, and sugar), as well as a lovely new fence gate and rebuilt fence section, faucets that no longer drip, a front door that doesn't stick as badly, and a bathroom door with a mended hole. His mother left me with a completed Amy Butler bag, two zippered pouches, a simple tote bag, a completed Abraham Owl, and refreshed embroidery skills - all projects I'd been wanting to tackle, but not on my own without guidance! I've made a lovely dent in my sewing projects with her instruction. I've even been inspired to start sewing curtains for various windows since their departure. I will share pictures soon!
It was cozy to have family in the house. I liked going to bed at night and still hearing muted conversation coming from the kitchen and living room, still seeing light glow under the door. It made me feel young again, nestled back with my own family or rooming with friends in college, where there was more activity than my quiet husband and I generally have going on in our house. Sitting down to real dinners every night was also nice. I did cook them all myself, but they were more balanced and complete than I usually prepare, and sharing them together as a group also felt cozy.
Who did you spend your holidays with?
Blue jellyfish photo by my husband from their daytrip to the Gulf Coast. I stayed home to sew, but I wish I would've seen those jellies! Top photo is my FIL making hilloo.

14 comments:

donna said...

They look just like the blue bottle jellyfish we get at home in Australia. Unfortunately ours have poisonous stingers..(of course)

ELK said...

sounds like you had a very lovely time with your family ...the hilloo sounds and looks intriguing

Anonymous said...

Whoa...I was trying to figure out what that blue thing was...looks like something to steer clear of!

elizabeth said...

that is wonderful. so nice to have family around; i like that part of the Christmas holidays too!

::Sylvia:: said...

What a terrific list of accomplished projects! I'm so jealous, I love Amy's Frenchy bags! There are several of her projects I've been wanting to attempt but have yet to muster up the courage to try!

You may have inspired me Kristina! I hope you'll post pics of them!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time with your family!

Cindy said...

I also wondered what the blue thing was in the photo. We had lots of family around for a couple of weeks at Christmas and I know what you mean about the muted conversation, etc. I always went to bed before everyone else but I admit I got up later after they all went to bed to make sure lights got turned off, the doors got locked, no food was left out, etc.

Anonymous said...

This post just warmed my heart. Love it when family (extended and immediate) come together to cook, fix and visit.
Perfect!

Kassianni said...

wounds like you have been blessed with amazing in-laws.

KatCollects said...

What a special family time, it sounds wonderful! And I am loving that blue jellyfish. I am thinking it's time to take a trip to the aquarium soon.
Hugs,
Kathy

Pres. Kathy said...

Thanks for sharing!

Shawna said...

Oh the muffled sounds of a family in the next room are my favorite. That, and the whispery noises coming from my parents talking in the front seat of the car during long nighttime drives.

My parents came to visit from the east coast as well as my brother who I hadn't seen in two years, so it was a wonderful christmas for sure.

Brenda said...

I love it that you love your parents-in-law! Being a MIL myself, I always hope for that affection from my DIL's.

The bag is especially cute!

Bless you!

Mimi said...

Ooooh, a good visit and completed crafts at the end - does it get any better than that?

Meadowlark Days said...

I really enjoyed hearing all of your responses to this post! I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoys hearing muffled conversations at night and who was intrigued by that blue jelly!