1/18/09

A Clear, Cool Day

Clear, cool days have been somewhat rare this winter in Texas, but last week we had several of them. I hadn't been photographing much and had been feeling uninspired, but I was so glad I came out in the middle afternoon to see what the sun was doing in the yard. I captured a bit of peace that afternoon, that old sense of well-being that comes from being outdoors on a nice day. I loved how the magnolia leaves were catching the angle of the sun, as well as the sweet potato leaf below. There are mysterious little flowers growing in my garden that I didn't plant; they are only about two inches tall (second picture.) I have never seen them before. I don't think they're weeds. My daffodils are beginning to push their way out of the ground, and it won't be long before the Bradford pear has leaves again. My dog was happily chewing on sticks while I was out, and the goldfinches were chattering in the treetops, waiting for me to leave so they could return to the feeders I've put out. It's been so fun watching them and the other birds back there - always a bevy of mourning doves, a lone mockingbird, a jay or two, a few sparrows, sometimes a wren, occasionally ma and pa cardinal, and the finches. This half hour in the yard was definitely a gift. It's nice to look back on these pictures while I'm sick this weekend and spending most of my time dozing on the sofa...





11 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

What beautiful and serene pictures. Thanks for sharing!

donna said...

Well I hope you are feeling better. Those sunny pictures make me loook forward to spring.

elizabeth said...

Nice pictures! I hope you feel better soon!

Kassianni said...

daffodils already? lucky!
those little flowers look like lilies of the valley.

KatCollects said...

I love your photography, so beautiful!
Kathy

Cindy said...

As always, I enjoyed your photos and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

lovely spring photos...it's funny how early spring comes in warm weather. our roses are blooming right now. poor confused things!

Martha said...

I sure hope the fresh air and bit of Vitamin D helped you feel better! I'm saying a prayer for you to be 100% real soon!!! XO

ELK said...

what a dreamy group of photos, I really enjoy your space ...

Emily said...

I agree with SV, those little flowers look like Lily of the Valley.

*sigh*

It is gray and cold and everything is pulled in tight up here in the high country, with no intention of pushing anything up anytime soon. Please post more pics of your emerging spring. I'll crank up the heat, don a pair of short, and daydream!

Unknown said...

beautiful!!!