3/31/10

Mr. Anole's New Skin



Yesterday afternoon I was out trying to make another dent in the endless yardwork. Our plumbago bushes died in the freezes this winter, so I pulled out the clippers and started cutting them away. It took me a minute to realize what I was looking at when I saw this green anole shedding his skin - he blended in so perfectly! I was pretty excited to see him, because they usually move so fast during the day that I don't see them at all. We typically see them in the evening, when they climb onto the exterior walls and turn pale pink/white. I've seen one turn from brown to bright green and back right in front of my eyes when it crawled through a gap in the window screen and didn't know how to get out. Apparently, molting renders them more still, because I had plenty of time to run and get my camera and take photos. He was about 4 - 5 inches total length. I love the little discoveries that yard work can bring!

8 comments:

DebD said...

that is so cool! I love finding little surprises like that, but I rarely have my camera ready for them.

Snowcatcher said...

Magnificent capture! I'm so glad you took the time to run get your camera. I'm sharing this with my husband and family!

Cindy said...

How fun to capture this in pictures. I'm glad you're posting more on your blog again now that you're home for a while! lol

elizabeth said...

how neat!!! thanks for sharing!!!

Martha said...

Wow...I love seeing surprises in nature like that!!!

Dianne said...

Looks like he's wearing a jacket! lol

KatCollects said...

I am so glad he stayed put for your photos, they are amazing!
Hugs,
Kathy

Esther said...

Wow, that's fascinating!

By the way - I tagged you on my blog (only if you want to).