3/5/10

9 Days Up North




As previously mentioned, I was blessed to spend nine days up north in South Dakota a few weeks ago to meet my new nephew, play with his brother, and try to help my sister and her hubby out. It was a time of cooking, staying indoors (even the cats quickly returned despite their pleas to go out), playing, admiring the new baby, and time with family. The weather wasn't terribly cold, but I relished sleeping once again in my sister's most comfy guest bed under a down duvet - so cozy. We visited a few favorite local restaurants, threw a baby shower, and watched the Olympics on dvr. Nothing terribly exciting, perhaps, but it was refreshing and good for my soul to be home again.
My sister asked me to make our mom's beef vegetable soup along with fried bread, very much a favorite when we were children. I hadn't made fried bread in many years and remembered it being a challenge, but it sounded so good that we decided to go for it. Using frozen bread dough, thawed per instructions, it was much easier than I recalled. My almost-three nephew absolutely loved it, so we were happy to see the family tradition continue. Basically, all you do once the dough has thawed and raised, is to break pieces off, flatten them on a floured counter, and then fry them in an inch or two of oil over medium-high heat. We used an electric skillet. Heavily salt immediately after removing from the skillet, and place on paper towel-lined plate. Serve with hot soup, if you don't eat it all before dinnertime!



5 comments:

elizabeth said...

how lovely! would love to hear how to make that soup as well... :)

also love the pictures!

Cindy said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time, as usual. I love the paw prints on the steps.

Shawna said...

sigh. you're making me home sick for staying with family in a cozy guest room. glad you had fun. :O)

ELK said...

so happy to see that you were able to spend such a lovely time with the family..I KNOW they appreciated it !!

Michelle M. said...

I love fried dough :) I'm glad you had such a nice time.

I mailed our your cards today- finally! Enjoy.