12/14/08

Christmas Crafting: A Few Random Projects

Here are a few more simple crafted Christmas gifts. My mom is the most faithful journal-keeper I know, and she always requests these old-fashioned composition notebooks, covered with patterned paper. I glue a full sheet of paper to the insides and outsides of front and back, slipping a long ribbon underneath the inside back paper for a bookmark, and pile them under heavy books overnight to dry. You can use waxed paper to protect your books from glue leaks. I then trim the excess paper off with a craft knife and embellish as desired.



A very simple project: two pieces of colorful polar fleece (1.5 yards each) sewed together to make a cozy blanket for my nephew. Their high in SoDak today is 0 degrees, so he'll probably be able to put this to use! I'm hoping it will be a fort-building, baby sign language video watching, cold winter night snuggling type of blankie for him!

Very simple: photo strips for kids and grandparents to hang on the fridge or in the kid's bedrooms. Sort of a low-tech version of digital picture frames!
Please do be sure to share your gift ideas!

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

how lovely!!! I use the comp. note books too... really neat how you covered them!

The blanket looks so nice and warm! I'm sure you nephew will like it!

What sort of photo strips did you use? looks great!

thanks so much for sharing!

::Sylvia:: said...

I'm a journal junkie too, so I love those! What a treasure your mom will leave you on day!

I love the blankie too, looks very snuggly!

brittanielovessparky said...

Haha, I love your description of the blanket, "a fort-building, baby sign language video watching, cold winter night snuggling type of blankie." What baby sign language videos are you watching?

Right now, I'm learning how to do baby sign language on MindBites.com specifically at http://www.mindbites.com/person/84-MySmartHands.

Do you have any recommendations for a newbie?

Meadowlark Days said...

Hi Brittanie,

My sister has been using My Baby Can Talk videos (http://www.amazon.com/My-Baby-Can-Talk-First/dp/B0002KJJHI/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1229626838&sr=8-3) and they seem to have worked! Good luck.