8/5/09

Old Fashioned Bread & Butter Pickles


Old Fashioned Bread & Butter Pickles

3.5 Cups thinly sliced non-waxed cucumbers (Kirby works well, and I love the small Persian cucs in this recipe)
1 small white onion, thinly sliced
1.5 Tablespoon kosher salt

Mix these three ingredients together and then layer with ice and refrigerate overnight (or up to 24 hours.)

The next day, drain water and ice and place veggies in a medium-sized glass jar.

Syrup
Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 3 minutes:
1 Cup white sugar
1 Cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed

Pour over the veggies in the jar and refrigerate overnight before eating (I let my syrup cool for 5 minutes before pouring over.) Can easily be doubled or tripled if you are not the only pickle eater in your household (as I am.)

2 comments:

elizabeth said...

Lovely. I know many of my friends are doing the same thing... :)

Canning is not a lost art!

Meadowlark Days said...

I can't quite claim to have truly canned - that's the beauty of refrigerator pickles! But hopefully someday I'll learn to can.