6/13/10

In the Kitchen with My Sister



Where have I been and what have I been doing? Driving through the West and now enjoying being home in the Black Hills again, staying with my sister and her family, for one. There are several adventures I hope to share here in the next month or so. We haven't been doing as much cooking together as usual during this spring's visit, but last night I did make soup using French green lentils for the first time, combining this and this recipe for a final dish that was quite yummy. We found these lovely spring onions at the farmer's market and used them as a garnish on the soup. Also at the farmer's market: little radishes and lots of canned goods, including chokecherry jelly, pumpkin butter, and raspberry rhubarb preserves that I look forward to using in Houston later this summer.
My brother-in-law is usually the one who whips up some of our Grandma Helen's Swedish Pancakes (really crepes) now and then for breakfast, but I also attempted them for the first time this trip. I'm thinking some of these green onions would be tasty in them! My sister and I fondly remember eating them at her house when we stayed overnight as kids, sprinkled with plenty of sugar. Here's the recipe - we now eat them with sugar and lemon juice or Nutella.
3 eggs
1 1/4 C milk
3/4 C sifted flour
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
Beat eggs 'til thick and lemon-colored. Stir in milk. Sift dry ingredients; add to egg mixture, mixing 'til smooth. Drop batter by tablespoons (I used quarter-cup measure) onto moderately hot, greased griddle. Spread batter evenly to make thin cakes. Turn when underside is light brown.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

I can almost smell those onions!

Martha said...

I do love making crepes...they are simple and good...something I will enjoy once again after the Apostle's Fast is over...in the mean time, I've been eating lots of vegan pancakes, made with ground flax seed and with real maple syrup on top!

KatCollects said...

That sounds so good. I am a huge soup fan, and I love to try new recipes. Thank you!
Hugs,
Kathy