Last spring I took my first official book binding class. Our final project was to design a single page book of our own choice, any medium acceptable. We had a new color printer and I was excited about experimenting with printing on fabric, so I decided to make a fabric scroll with flower photos I'd taken and a favorite poem by Denise Levertov as text, with a fabric bag as a case. Not surprisingly, the sewing part was a bit frustrating to me (see 'baby quilt' post!), but I was pleased with the results. I used a 'weaver's blend' of cotton and acrylic (I believe) to print on, cut it to 8.5 x 11, ironed it with starch, and (the most important part) ironed a piece of freezer paper wax-side down to the back to help it feed through the printer. Straight muslin produced more vibrant colors but was much more prone to jam in the printer.
More of my book binding projects to come!