7/27/09

My Father-in-Law's Garden






It has been years since I’d been in Ohio during the summer, so I was delighted to see my father-in-law’s garden in full bloom again. He has turned most of his backyard into flower beds. This time of year the wildflowers predominate, as you can see from these photos. Over the years, he splits his plants and is able to expand his beds in a frugal manner. He composts kitchen scraps to add to the beds. I was inspired by his choices and plan to incorporate some of these flowers into my own garden. I got a little carried away with the salvia in my beds this spring and appreciated the masses of color that these plants offer, as well as their fun shapes and textures.

What gardens inspire you?

Previous favorite garden posts:
Sioux Park Gardens

7 comments:

elizabeth said...

That's really lovely and beautiful! I grew up in a gardening family and love to see pictures of gardens! Thanks for letting us see this!

KatCollects said...

Beautiful photos of the garden. I love alot of colors in my gardens. My Mom always inspired me with her rose gardens. I hope you are having a good summer.
Kathy

sweetsalty kate said...

Fantastic shapes! And light and colour. Beautiful.

ELK said...

the colors and shapes of pure mother nature the artist ....

renee @ FIMBY said...

I love the look of your father-in-law's garden, IT inspires me. Perennial gardens full of color inspire me. I'm growing almost all of the flower you have featured in this post and I just love them!

Meadowlark Days said...

Thanks, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Your father-in-law grows beautiful flowers. Mine grows a giant garden! Both are so talented!
vickie