6/2/09

What Remains







I am back from another jam-packed month of May in South Dakota, my mind full of memories and experiences that I’m still processing. It’s hard to decide what to share first, but today’s Shutter Sister topic helped make up my mind. They ask, “Share with us wonder and questions and eyes bigger than ordinary. Share with us faith and unfaith and how it looks to wonder what happens next.”

And so, I share with you lilac photos. These are not just any lilac photos, however. These are lilacs that survived a massive flood in Rapid City in 1972, one that killed almost 300 people and swept away the very homes around which the lilacs grew. Fortunately, my parents were out of town on their honeymoon that week when their little rental home near the river was destroyed. These five lilac bushes stand evenly spaced in a large field near a city park, steadfastly hanging on and continuing to grow decades after they were planted. That they survived amazes me. Apple trees can also be found nearby, and in other parks, poppies sprout year after year along the river where gardens were once nurtured. In their own way, the lilacs and poppies stand as memorials to the lives that were lost, blooming each year near the flood’s anniversary.

And so, I wonder what parts of you and me hang on and survive after change, whether good or bad. I wonder what parts of us tenaciously remain rooted in our souls, even when much around us changes, even when our very selves are changed through the floods and feasts of life. It’s something I’m still thinking about.
I suspect the lilacs will be around for many more decades.

13 comments:

Mimi said...

Beautiful photos, and very good point!

elizabeth said...

Those are really good questions. I am hoping that the things that remain in me are the best parts, which I know is only by the Lord's mercy...

KatCollects said...

Wow, that is amazing. Love this post, and so thankful that your parents stayed safe. Lilacs are my favorite flowers. I love your thoughts to ponder at the end of your post. Something I think about also with so many things that have went on with my Son the past year and my health. I definilty know that I found out I was much stronger than I thought I was, and that is a blessing from God. Welcome Home!
Hugs,
Kathy

sweetsalty kate said...

Oh, I can smell those from here. Gorgeous.

ELK said...

i
have
missed
you
&
your
blooms
...
elk

DesignTies said...

I love lilacs -- they come in such beautiful colours, and the scent is wonderful :-)

The story behind the beautiful lilacs in your pictures is sad, but hopeful too.

Thanks for your comment on my "Happy" post :-) Yes, I'm lucky to have three great dogs that make me super-happy :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

donna said...

I think change is such a natural and intended part of life. Nothing was even meant to remain completely unchanged. I think it is more about how we deal with change....do we embrace it or resist it. LOVE your lilac pics :-)

Martha said...

I love those lilac photos...they mean so much to me. As a child we had a huge lilac bush in the backyard and fresh smelling lilacs bouquets inside our house! I'm glad you're back and had a nice trip to SD. We're going to drive through the last week of July!!!

Shawna said...

oh i really love the last two. took me a while to figure out the last one, haha! it's amazing how fate works. no honey moon, no you! i can imagine that their blooms are bitter sweet for the town every year.

beth said...

I think what remains is always good somehow...change is the only thing we can be guaranteed and we have to embrace it no matter what !!

wonderful lilacs...

Rebecca said...

What a lesson from those lilacs! Reminds me of Hebrews 12:27 - "the removing of what can be shaken--that is, created things--so that what cannot be shaken may remain..."
God likes to "shake things up!" (see verses 26-28)

Meadowlark Days said...

thank you, all of you, for your comments. Rebecca, thanks for that verse - I kept thinking of Psalm 103: 15 - 16 "As for man, his days are like grass, he flourishes like a flower of the field; the wind passes over it and it is gone" - but I knew it wasn't really capturing the idea!

Pres. Kathy said...

The pictures are just breath-taking.