4/29/09

Mockingbird Update


I am so happy to tell you that the two baby mockingbirds that I saved from the neighbor's cat early Pascha morning are alive and thriving! They've nearly doubled in size in the 10 days since I held one in my hand. They fly pretty well, if a bit clumsily, and they are beginning to feed themselves. They still shriek a lot for their parents' attention, and flutter their wings energetically when food arrives. Today all four of the bird family were quite upset when the red squirrel made his occasional appearance. The parents took turns divebombing the squirrel while the babies sat in the tree and squawked. It was quite amusing.

5 comments:

Martha said...

Aw...I hope they sing for you! When we lived in Georgia, there were many more mockingbirds than here in Ohio. I remember them singing one bird call after the other, it was great!

Shawna said...

awesome! they'll be fun to follow and hopefully they'll stick around. i don't think i've ever really heard them sing. right now i'm enjoying the calls of bald eagles and that's good enough for me ;o)

elizabeth said...

wonderful! what great pictures! the birds look like they have thier own personalities...

That is so nice!

I love reading your updates... they are stories from your life and I enjoy them!

Cindy said...

That's great news. I agree with "Marfa" - I hope you are rewarded with song!

Anonymous said...

How awesome news is this! So glad they are doing well and what great pics to share with all of us who are cheering them on!